Ironman Lake Placid 2011

Ironman Lake Placid 2011

Friday, September 3, 2010

New toy!

I got a new toy!  My last bike was a 2008 Specialized Transition Comp I purchased from eBay last year.  I had sat on one in the LBS (Local Bike Shop) and it seemed to fit, but I didn't want to take up too much of their time to "fit" me for a bike since I knew I would be looking for a used one elsewhere.  The Medium frame appeared to fit me, but after a year of riding it is really a bit small (lesson learned - you really need to get fit for a triathlon bike since different brands have completely different geometries and some fit better than others).

Although I did have a professional fit done on the Transition (albeit after the NJ Triathlon) and it felt better, I was still a bit cramped during anything over a 25 mile ride.  I simply could not imagine being comfortable on it for 112 miles.  So I visited my LBS earlier this week to get an idea on my PROPER frame sizing (still planning on eBay shopping) and, low and behold, they had a beautiful 2010 Cervelo P2 Carbon on the floor in a 56" frame... We put some test pedals on it and, in my work clothes, I tried it out and it fit like a glove.

As it turns out, due to a soured relationship between this bike shop and Cervelo, they were no longer going to be a Cervelo dealer and were clearing out the three bikes they had left.  I had been browsing eBay for several weeks and these REALLY seem to hold value.  I ended up getting the bike brand new, a FREE professional fitting (over 90 minutes with a superb fitter) and a few accessories (xLab wing and bottle cages) for less than 2008 models were selling for in auction.  Sweeeet!

I had been watching the Cervelo P3 models as well, but couldn't justify the $1000+ difference in price for aerodynamics which, at best, would save a few minutes over the course of 112 miles.  In fact, I did a TON of research on bikes and components and it is pretty humorous how much marketing comes into play on some of them.  For example, you can spend $500 more for a component just because it saves you weight equivalent to a gel pack!  I guess if I were racing where seconds matter (and there was prize money to be found) it would make sense, but otherwise...

That brings me to my other thought... What if my bike is better than I am a rider?  There is a lot to be said for beginners or amateurs who feel like they need the best equipment, but the truth is that if you are a MOP (middle of the pack) rider, you can buy the best bike in the world and still be a MOP rider.  Plus, a lot of elite athletes think people are trying to "buy" an advantage using better technology rather than train for it.  Me?  I'm on the other side of the spectrum.  I like to buy good stuff because, well, I can. I've worked my butt off in my business for 20 years so that I CAN buy a better bike, good shoes, etc.. I don't have any preconceptions on whether or not it will make me faster.

In any case, I put my Transition on eBay and sold it within two hours, for $50 more than I paid for it used a year ago.  I basically had a free bike for a year!  It was a great day overall.

Now I'm looking forward to a nice ride this weekend on the new wheels.  I'm starting to look at riding distances to places we go to on the weekends.  For example, we are going to an annual family/friends BBQ on Sunday. 35 miles.  I'm going to plan on leaving an hour or two before my wife does and bike it.  I'll need to work off those beers I will inevitably have during the day (and then need to let my wife drive home as I'm sure I won't be in much shape to).

No comments:

Post a Comment