Ironman Lake Placid 2011

Ironman Lake Placid 2011

Monday, August 30, 2010

My crotch thanked me

Got my new bike seat last week from Cobb Cycling.  After talking with John Cobb directly, he recommended the V-Flow Plus for my build and based on the description of my riding pains.  I was having some slight numbness in my left foot after 25 miles or so.

John spent some time on the phone with me and also gave me a few good suggestions (like lowering my seat a bit more).  The seat came with great instructions and an installation kit with a tape measure.  I ended up moving my seat backwards further than my fit and dropping my seat post a half-inch or so.  Did a 30 mile ride Sunday and felt 100x better than my stock Specialized seat.  Now my only concern is whether my 54" frame may be too small for my 6' body.  I feel compressed on the bike a bit, but the fitter says it looks okay, so at this point it is about feel.  I'm thinking for a 112 mile ride I need to stretch out a bit more for comfort, and the Cervelo 56" frame may be a better fit.  Need to do some fall hunting on eBay now.
 
I'm also starting to wonder if my training plan will be enough come race day, but I think it is something we all start to second guess at one point or another.  Since I'm techinically in "off-season" mode, I'm trying to build strength and get my body up to the rigors of full IM training come November.  In any case, I've certainly made some progress as I was down to 191.4 lbs this weekend (up to 193 by the afternoon though) which is 10 lbs less than last month (and 25 lbs less than last year), and I feel fantastic.  Goal is to get down to 175 by spring which I'm pretty confident of with proper diet and all this training.

I've also developed this addiction to reading everything and anything tri-related.  I lurk on several forums (Slowtwitch, Beginnertriathlete) since I don't have much to contribute, but learn a TON from other experienced people.  The best thing I've learned is that 20 great athletes do things 20 different ways, so I really need to develop what works for ME.  This ranges from nutrution, how to carry my mix, should I change clothes or keep on the Tri shorts, what size cassette to use for the Lake Placid hills, etc...  I read an entire thread last night about Chamois Butt'r and to date have had no need for it, but thinking this may be something that creeps up in longer rides.  I guess we all start and end off with diaper rash... Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment